If you're spending time in town searching for Raleigh homes for sale, you'll quickly hear about one of North Carolina State University's treasures: the JC Raulston Arboretum. This nationally acclaimed garden, located just across the street from NC State's West Campus, contains a living collection of over 6,300 diverse plant varieties — touted as one of the largest collections in the Southeast!
Established in 1976, this arboretum and botanical garden provide more than ten acres of spectacular viewing free of charge. It's been internationally recognized and continues to grow, expanding its amazing collection while increasing its space for visitors of all ages and abilities to enjoy a stroll through their gardens every day of the year.
What You'll Find at JC Raulston Arboretum
This living laboratory is a resource for horticulture professionals, residents and visitors alike, offering access to vibrant gardens, including:
- The Entry Garden, featuring over one hundred tropical perennials
- The Winter Garden highlights plants that grow best in colder temperatures
- The Paradise Garden is a blooming burst of plant life that engages all five senses
- Xeric Garden, showcasing plants from the American Southwest and Mexico
- Model Gardens, perfect for finding the next plant for your home garden
- The Southall Memorial Garden, a grove perfect for relaxation
- The Japanese Garden, a peaceful Zen garden for quiet reflection
- The Klein-Pringle White Garden, an homage to the renowned White Garden at Sissinghurst Castle.
- The Latin House, a cool place to view plants that love the shade
- The Finley-Nottingham Rose Garden, a stunning array of roses as pretty as can be
The first stop for all guests venturing into the JC Raulston Arboretum is the Bobby G. Wilder Visitor Center. This center features an innovative sustainable design that prioritizes energy-efficiency. Within the center, you'll find helpful information, an event calendar, a handy map of the grounds and volunteers who will answer all of your questions.
Enhance your trip with a visit to the Ruby C. McSwain Education Center. Inside, you'll have the opportunity to increase your knowledge of plant life with educational activities and lectures as you view their teaching and research gardens.
JC Raulston Arboretum: A Great Way to Enjoy Raleigh Outdoors
With events like workshops, children's programs, symposiums, tours, plant sales and more, the JC Raulston Arboretum is a fantastic way to spend a gorgeous day in Raleigh. Be sure to check their events calendar to discover more fun activities and happenings throughout the year. Our real estate agents know that the JC Raulston Arboretum has something special that the whole family will enjoy!
Outstanding Raleigh homes for sale are conveniently close to the JC Raulston Arboretum, as well as many other remarkable outdoor activities. If you're interested in learning more about the natural wonders around Raleigh's community, or if you'd like to find information on buying or selling a home in the western Raleigh area, contact us at Coldwell Banker Howard Perry and Walston. I'm happy to assist in finding your perfect home!
From my home to yours,